Google celebrates 37 years of the classic Atari game, Breakout, by planting another Easter egg. This time, it lets users play the game directly on Google Image Search.
When you type “Atari Breakout” in the search bar under Images, each thumbnail turns a particular color of the rainbow and warps into the shape of a brick. The colored bricks then rearrange themselves into rows, and out comes the ball you use to smash them, along with the moving paddle you use to bounce it back.
Head over to Google Image Search and try it out yourself!
- Based on the 1972 arcade game, Pong, Breakout was created in 1976 by Nolan Bushnell and Steve Bristow.
- Breakout was later ported to video game consoles.
- In 2011, Atari SA released a mobile version of the game called Breakout Boost.
- The game was a direct influence to Steve Wozniak in making the design for the Apple II PC.
- The original iPod had an Easter egg where the game would appear onscreen whenever the central button was held down for a few seconds in the About menu.