There’s no stopping the increasing pervasiveness of social media in the Philippines. With over 25-Million internet users—and counting, one study even shows that 95% of online Pinoys actively tweet, Facebook, plurk and blog, giving more credence to the Philippines being called the Social Networking capital of the world.
Globe has come up with the first Tatt Awards to give due recognition to the growing power and influence of this medium and to people who have used the digital space to inspire, spur change and make a difference. Powered by Globe Tattoo, the Tatt Awards was launched at the posh Opus Club in Resorts World Manila to coincide with the 2nd annual Social Media Day.
“Tattoo is about making your mark and your own personal definition of greatness. The Tatt Awards is our venue to recognize those individuals that through their passion and individuality have created a space that is truly theirs, but sincerely shared with others,” said Dong Ronquillo, Head of Nomadic Broadband Business of Globe Telecom.
The Tatt Awards has ten categories:
- The One, the most influential trendsetter that shaped opinion, moved people and prompted action;
- Ballbreaker, a blogger or a Twitter user who started a debate, sparked conversations or a revolution of opinions with just one hard-hitting post;
- Stylisimo, a person that not only reviewed fashion but also set a trend one that everyone followed;
- Indie Rocker, a musical band or indie artist who fought hard to claim their space in the hearts of the Filipino audience via webtime;
- Wordslayer, a blogger whose mastery of words showed wit, humor and grit to the Philippine blogosphere;
- Artiste, an inspiring person whose fiery passion for creating visual art through original graphic design, animation or photography has caught fire in the Philippine online art scene;
- Tech Junkie, a blogger, podcaster or Twitter user who shares access to the latest in trends and the fast pace world of e-knowledge;
- #Thought-Mover, a Twitter user who sparked a fire in the Philippine Twittersphere with one unique hashtag;
- Video Slinger, an individual or group who shook the Pinoy web space with though-provoking or entertaining video; and
- The Advocate, a person or a group of individuals who worked to improve the state of a societal cause in the Philippines through social media.
Winners will receive a whopping P100,000 in cash and premium broadband products from Tattoo, and will be decided by public voting and a panel of judges christened The Tatt Council. Members of The Tatt Council include Dong Ronquillo; award-winning journalist Maria Ressa; Rock Ed Philippines founder Gang Badoy; popular lifestyle blogger and entrepreneur Cecile Zamora-Van Straten; tech blogger and Tattoo ambassador Rico Mossesgeld; director and video blogger Kring Elenzano; Radio DJ Chico Garcia and Hans Roxas-Chua, President of the Internet and Mobile Marketing Association of the Philippines (IMMAP).
Online nominations were accepted until July 14, 2011 via the Tattoo portal www.tattoo.globe.com.ph/tattawards. Finalists will be announced on August 10, at which point the online voting will begin and run until August 24. The Tatt Awards Night will be on August 27.