Everyone might have enjoyed all the long weekends August had to offer but let’s not forget why those extra holidays were important as it allows us to relive our national pride (if not everyday). And even though many Filipinos look up to today’s personalities who carry the national flag, such as Manny Pacquiao, the Philippine Azkals, and the Philippine Dragon Boat team, among others, we should also look back to their cultural and historical roots by searching for our national heroes in Google.com.ph. Below are the top five most-searched national heroes in 2010, according to Google:
- Andres Bonifacio
- Emilio Aguinaldo
- Jose Rizal
- Emilio Jacinto
- Juan Luna
Pinoy pride can also be seen in the applications that local developers have made available in the global marketplace of Android and Chrome.
- Ang Mahiwagang Kamiseta Lite:The first Filipino storybook app, “Ang Mahiwagang Kamiseta” relates the story of Juancho and his magical shirt, which makes him popular to everyone he encounters. The storybook app is based on the storybook of the same title.
- KKB: This Android app helps the Pinoy group in going dutch – which is termed as “KKB” or “kanya-kanyang bayad” in Filipino. The app splits the bill effectively and even adds individuals to groups, adding a personal touch to each bill split.
- Pinoy Radio: Music is embedded in the Filipino culture and this app, Pinoy Radio, can help Pinoys to listen to Filipino AM and FM radio stations from anywhere in the globe.
- True Filipino Theme: Show your nationalism with your Android phone theme by integrating icons designed with the national flag.
- Learn Filipino Free Wordpower: This Android app allows the user to learn Filipino in their own pace, even including the audio version of the words.
- Rizal theme: Show your appreciation for the national hero with the Rizal theme by Team Manila for Google Chrome.
- Makiling by Arnold Arre: Appreciate Filipino artists by making this art of Mount Makiling by well-known graphic novel artist Arnold Arre as your Google Chrome theme.
- Chikka: The Philippines is the text messaging capital of the world and this Chikka Chrome extension can feed the nation’s love for texting.