Debuting in a fuel-efficient package, Ford’s multi-award-winning green technology 1.0-liter Ecoboost engine can now be found under the hood of the new Ford Fiesta.
Redefining the small car segment, the new Ford Fiesta was unveiled in the Philippines at the 2013 Auto Focus Motor Show at the SM Mall of Asia last November 7.
More with Less
Ford didn’t stop at its exciting bold design, top-notch fuel economy, safety features, and smart technologies, the new Fiesta continues to impress as it is now equipped with 1.0-liter EcoBoost.
The smallest engine in its class, Ford’s patented three-cylinder EcoBoost engine will be big on power, torque and refinement. Projected to produce 125 PS of power and peak torque of 170 NM, the quiet and smooth-running engine will deliver power and engine performance that rivals a traditional 1.6-liter petrol engine. With 25 percent fewer moving parts, the 1.0-liter EcoBoost is able to deliver higher fuel economy and lower emissions.
“The new Ford Fiesta continues to raise the bar for small cars in the Philippines. With the introduction of our latest 1.0L EcoBoost engine, we offer customers great fuel economy without sacrificing power and torque”, says Kay Hart, managing director, Ford Philippines.
The little engine that can
The 1.0-liter EcoBoost is the company’s first three-cylinder engine and also has the highest power density of any Ford production engine.
The 1.0-liter EcoBoost also debuts many technologies never before seen in a Ford vehicle:
- The super-small and extremely responsive turbocharger delivers power quickly when the throttle is open from low RPM. The turbocharger’s ability to reach nearly 248,000 RPM results in virtually no turbo lag, making the new Fiesta quick and fun to drive.
- The exhaust manifold is cast into the cylinder head so the exhaust gases can be water-cooled to enable optimum fuel-to-air ratio across a wider rev band.
- The unique cast iron block warms the engine quicker than a conventional aluminum block, cutting the amount of “warm-up” energy required by 50 percent and increasing fuel economy.
- The “split-cooling” system that has separate thermostats for the cylinder head and block allow quick warm-up.
- Two main engine drive belts are immersed in oil to deliver a quieter, more efficient engine while the variable oil pump ensures optimal oil pressure across the full speed range.
Praised around the world
Earning a roster of global acclaims, the 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine was recently voted as the International Engine of The Year by a jury of 87 journalists from 35 countries, winning by the largest voting margin in the award’s history for two consecutive years.
It also bagged the Breakthrough Award from Popular Mechanic’s magazine in the U.S., the prominent Dewar Trophy from the Royal Automobile Club in Great Britain, and the esteemed International Paul Pietsch Award 2013 for technological innovation in Germany. The 1.0-liter EcoBoost has also proven that small does not mean slow. Last June, it set 16 land speed records at a racetrack in France.
“The 1.0-liter EcoBoost indeed packs a big punch, proving that size does not matter with this multi-awarded engine,” said Hart. “The new Fiesta with 1.0L EcoBoost delivers what customers truly want – a vehicle with no compromise.”
The new 5-door Ford Fiesta Sport+ with the 1.0L EcoBoost engine will be available at Ford showrooms nationwide starting next month at PhP 898,000. It is available in six exciting colors, including Arctic White, Black Mica, Highlight Silver, Chili Orange, Phantom Purple and Celestial Blue.