Gearheads and survival junkies are in for a treat in Discovery Channel’s newest series Car vs. Wild. Premiering Monday, September 30 at 10pm, Car vs. Wild features British Special Forces soldier, Gary Humphrey, American car fanatic, Billy Wu, and Ruby, their trust thrill-hungry four-wheel drive as they put to test the limits of both man and machine as they venture into the unforgiving terrains of Mexico.
Here are top ten tips on how to use your car to survive from Gary and Billy:
Billy’s top 10 tips:
- Shelter: from the elements: rain, sun, wind, etcetera.
- Lighting: from headlights can give you light at night.
- Fire: from gas and electrical for cooking and warmth.
- Transportation: car can cover much greater distances than walking.
- Protection: from dangerous animals.
- Resources: the wires can make traps and fishing equipment.
- Clothes or sunglasses: from interior pieces.
- Tools and supplies: from various objects found throughout the car.
- Cars are easy to spot for rescuers.
- Stay with your car no matter what.
Gary’s top 10 tips:
- If your car breaks down, always stay with your vehicle and use the car for shelter and as a survival kit.
- Mix petrol with sand, place in to a non-combustible container to cook on.
- Use seat belts for safety harnesses and rope.
- Cutting the foam out of the back seats and wrap around footwear. Use carpet for gaiters and wire to make thermal boots when in cold temperatures.
- Use the wing mirrors and burn the spare tire to signal for help.
- Cut out the lining from the car roof and carpet from the floor to make a sleeping bag.
- Start a fire using the battery and jumper cables to make a spark.
- For rope, pull out car wire from inside the car.
- Use the inner tube from a car to carry water in as well as a hunting catapult.
- 10. Cut out the foam lining on the sun visor to craft a mask to protect your eyes from snow blindness.
If you want more car suvival tips from this duo, catch them on Car vs Wild and learn up as they go head-to-head with natural dangers and extreme environments with their trusty and resilient four-wheel drive.
Car vs. Wild encores every Tuesday at 3:00 p.m., Saturday at 9:00 p.m. and Sunday 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.